Implants and Tongue Rubbing

Hello,

Backstory: I had 2 failed root canals when I was a child that caused a bottom molar on each side to infect my jaw. My current dentist removed the molars and gave me implants. Getting rid of the infection and building my jaw bone back up was a lengthy process.

Last few days: I just got my new teeth. My dentist filed them down until I was comfortable biting down and everything was great when I left the office.

Now: I have a sore on one side of my tongue from rubbing against one of my implants.

Question: Is this normal because my tongue got used to not having the molars in my mouth? Both teeth feel sharp, but only one side of my tongue is affected. I've already contacted my dentist but what I don't want to happen is they file down my tooth and I'm uncomfortable with the way my tongue sits later on or I wear down that side of my mouth because my tongue is used to sitting that way.

If I'm being stupid, please say so. No judgement from me.

Thank you

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Did you feel the sharpness when the crowns were fitted, or were you numb at the time?
Do you have photos or Xrays to show us?
Whatever, it shouldn't feel sharp. Implant crowns should need negligible adjustments at the fitting appointment.
See your dentist.

Vote:
Your tongue and oral tissues have likely adapted to the space and shape of your mouth without the molars for some time. When you introduce new dental implants, your tongue may need some time to reposition itself and adapt to the new structure. This could cause initial friction and irritation.

About the sharpness, it is not supposed to happen. Talk to your dentist.

Vote:

Ask a Question