Care of primary teeth

Hello, could you please inform me about the care that should be taken with primary teeth?

I have noticed cavities in some children and I would like to know about the care of primary teeth to inform them and seek to have a better oral health.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
  1. Regular dental check-ups. If they are too young, bring the child along when the parent comes for their check-up.
  2. Brush their teeth twice a day, from when the first tooth appears in the mouth.
  3. Don't let the child go to sleep with a bottle, if the bottle contains tea with sugar or other sugar containing liquids.
  4. Limit the intake of sweets.
  5. Limit the intake of fruit juices.
  6. Educate them to rinse their mouths with water after having juice or sweets.
There is a long list of additional guidelines you can google.

Vote:
  • Start with a damp cloth before teeth erupt, then use a soft-bristled brush with fluoride toothpaste twice a day as teeth come in. Supervise brushing until around age 6.
  • Once teeth touch (around age 2-3), floss once a day to remove plaque.
  • Limit sugary drinks and snacks, and avoid sugary bedtime bottles.
  • Schedule a dental visit by age 1 or within 6 months of the first tooth erupting.

Vote:

Ask a Question