Can this root canal be saved?

Hello, in an anxious situation. Recently since last Sunday I woke up with pain when biting down and putting pressure on one of my back molars on the right side (tooth #30). On Sunday, there would be basically no pain at all if I was just talking or had my mouth closed, and there would only be pain when biting down, no pain if I pushed the molar from the sides with my tongue. However, since a few days has passed, the pain has increased that its not jarringly painful but I can now feel a dull pain when I'm not doing anything.

Today I went to the dentist and they took some x-rays, and they said that there has been a reinfection deep in the root and that I would need to do an extraction and bone grath ($780 for extraction + bone grath after insurance). This makes me really anxious because that means I will also have to do an impant in the future which will be really expensive and I have to probably wait a few months before I can get the implant and I already don't have the same back molar on the left side because I had to get that tooth extracted when I was 8 so it will be difficult to chew.

TDLR: Old root canal is having pain and dentist said I have to extract it but I just wanted to get a second opinion from you guys to see if there is anyway I could save the tooth.

Attachments

• 1.2.840.114384.25545473.821792.20240502.163836.41.jpg
    1.2.840.114384.25545473.821792.20240502.163836.41.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 4
Solutions
I've had 2 back molars extracted with bone grafts. I did not get implants and I can eat just fine and no one can see whether I have those 2 upper molars or not. Good luck!

Vote:
I had my first molar on the lower right extracted after RCT had failed. 4 months later I can chew somewhat ok without. Replacement/implant will cost $7000 CAD.

A friend of mine opted for RCT and crown (same tooth, other side)...he broke two crowns...and in the end, he also had it extracted and replaced by an implant.

Another friend of mine had some molars extracted 10 years ago...and is only now looking to have them replaced.

I have been dealing with another unsuccessful RCT and therefore permanent pain for the last 9 months. To me, root canals are (very lucrative) patchwork and time bombs.

This brochure by the American Association of Endodontists is either wishful thinking or profoundly dishonest imho:

The most expensive option may be the best in the long run.

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question