Mystery pain weeks after root canal

I had a root canal back on October 11 after experiencing pain around the third molar on my lower left. My dentist said that molar was dead and the pan was due to an infection in the dead tooth. After the root canal he insisted that the infection was removed and the root canal was successful. He told me the area around the tooth might be tender for a few days, so I wasn’t too concerned that I was still experiencing pain after the procedure. But after a week I still had the same constant pain I had before the root canal. I went back to the dentist and he said that he couldn’t see any evidence of infection in the x-ray and that possibly the filling in the tooth was sitting too high, so he filed it down. But the pain never went away. So ten days after the root canal I went back again to my dentist and again he said he believed the root canal removed all the infection and was successful. He said I just need a couple more days to heal. But he said if I still had pain after another four days he would refer me to an endodontist. So, four more days go by, I’m still in constant pain and last Thursday I went to the endodontist. She did a 3D scan and confirmed there was no signs of infection or inflammation. There is a molar at the very back on the left side that has a filling that is right up against a nerve and she suggested that might be causing some pain when I have hot or cold fluid or food. She also said I might have hurt my jaw muscles keeping my mouth open during the root canal. She gave me muscle relaxants to take at night for a week. But it’s been five more days and still the same pain around that tooth. The pain is a throbbing ache that is especially sharp when I eat or drink something hot/warm. Strangely, in the last two days I’ve begun getting a stinging pain on the side of my of my tongue, like a cold sore but there is no visible sore. In last two weeks the pain has also been on my left cheek and along my jaw up to my left ear. The pain is less noticeable for a few hours after taking Advil but then comes back. I gargle twice a day with salt water and brush with Sensodyne which provides temporary relief but just a little. It’s really frustrating that nobody seems to have an answer and I’m out $1500!

Last edited:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Did you do any treatment on the other tooth that the endodontist indicated might be the cause of the pain? Might be referred pain from that tooth.
Do you have any x-rays that you could share?

Vote:

Ask a Question