Wisdom tooth and molar

One of my wisdom tooth grew sideways and to the center of the close molar, which led to deep rot in that molar. My dentist said there's a need to extract the wisdom tooth and then do a root canal treatment on the molar which is probably needed rather than just a filling.
It it possible to extract the bad molar and try to straighten the wisdom tooth (which is not rotten) to replace it? I am over 25 and my wisdom tooth are developed and mostly grew. The rest of my teeth are straight (naturally).
And even if it's possible, do you think it's worth it? it would probably take a few years and maybe I should just treat the molar and stay with it after exacting the wisdom tooth.

Attachments

• wisodm2.jpeg
    wisodm2.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 10

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It depends. You would need the opinion from an orthodontist. They will take different x-rays to determine if the required movement can indeed take place.
There is also a chance that if you remove the wisdom tooth, either the adjacent tooth could be damaged to such an extent that it would need removal as well, or the decay on the adjacent molar could extend into the root, which means that a root canal is not an option.

Vote:
Can you please estimate what are the chances that the adjacent tooth is too damaged to be repaired? I know it can't be fully determined without treatment, but I just want to know if the chances to save it are decent or not. I understand it would just be an estimation.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Based on this x-ray , I would say less than 50%. The distal cavity seems like it might be going horizontal or below the bone. But you can only say definitively once the wisdom tooth has been removed.

Vote:
Update: I sent the x ray to 3 different orthodontists and they all said that based on the x ray it seems impossible to move it to replace the molar. So I had that wisdom tooth extracted today. My dentist also cleaned some of the molar and put a temporary filling. He hasn't cleaned deep enough yet, but he thinks that the tooth can be saved and maybe even without a root canal treatment and only with a deep filling, but we will know for sure only after a week when the molar is fully treated.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question