Will I ever see myself again?!!!

Ok... stick with me. This story has a lot of exciting twists and turns. In fact, I might bulletpoint it

-October 2023. Bad tooth infection... 4 teeth removed (2 mid uppers on either side). I have no teeth in the molar area beyond what's been extracted. (Side note: my beautiful singing voice was destroyed after that procedure. Couldn't hit a note if I tried).

-after bone graft heals, immediately stars prep work for dental implants

-by the way.... my hair is falling out of my head like crazy due to the stress of wearing that stupid partial in public the entire time. I rarely wear it at home. Could this have contributed to my face changing?

-early August 2024.... 2 weeks before they're going to screw the crowns in so I have teeth again, my face started changing. I noticed it had shrunk.

Well..... it keeps shrinking..... hasn't stopped.... still is. My jaw is shrinking dramatically, my face is shorter, nose starting to squish in. I'm terrified. I don't have money to fix any of this! I just paid $20,000 on these implants. I've lost my voice, my hair and now my face!!!

Any further trips to the dentist, despite not being able to afford any work, have told me that I need a sinus lift and bone grafting, and I've discussed recrrowning and heightening the lower arch with a totally different dentist. What do I do?!

I have an appointment this week for a sinus lift with grafting. What do I need to instruct them to do?
What would you do?
Can I ever look like my old self again? My head is significantly shorter and just.... smaller than it was before.

I'm so sad. 🥲
The old me. The bad (new me) pics are at the end.
IMG_0863.jpeg

I just want to see myself when I look in the mirror

Attachments

• IMG_4033.jpeg
    IMG_4033.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3785.jpeg
    IMG_3785.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3568.jpeg
    IMG_3568.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9105.jpeg
    IMG_9105.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2733.jpeg
    IMG_2733.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2746.jpeg
    IMG_2746.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2743.jpeg
    IMG_2743.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2731.jpeg
    IMG_2731.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2709.jpeg
    IMG_2709.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Facial changes could be due to a lot of reasons. Firstly, if you lose a lot of teeth, it does affect your diet. Changes in diet could lead to unexpected weight loss and facial changes. Stress also contributes to this. Secondly, loss of teeth, leads to bone loss. Usually the bone loss is rapid in the first 6 months, whereafter it somewhat stabilizes, and then continues at a gradual pace. Loss of bone, does lead to changes in facial dimensions.
When the crowns are placed, this should push out your cheeks a bit more and give you back some of the dimension you have lost.
In terms of the sinus lift, it does look like it might be required, due to the fact that your maxillary sinus is very low. This might mean, there would not be enough bone in order to support an implant.

Vote:

Ask a Question