Tooth pain and conflicting opinions from dentists

I have had fillings done on #8 and #9 about 17 years ago due to cavity between teeth. Last July I began experiencing some sensitivity on #8. Dentist said she could not see anything on her X-rays to indicate pain. Fast forward to last month, I was in excruciating pain after having an iced coffee, when I was only having sensitivity sporadically throughout the year. Endodontist took X-ray and said I need root canal without explaining to me why. Went to another DMD who took X-ray and said I should redo the fillings in both #8 and #9 as they see decay. Is there anything anyone can point out regarding decay or evidence for root canal?

Attachments

• page1.jpeg
    page1.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1178.jpeg
    IMG_1178.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 7

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Why did the endodontist not give an explanation? I would start with re-doing the fillings. And only on the tooth that was sensitive. That is the least invasive option.

Vote:
Why did the endodontist not give an explanation? I would start with re-doing the fillings. And only on the tooth that was sensitive. That is the least invasive option.
She based it off radiating tooth pain and not responding to the cold test she did. However, the tooth is still responding to cold. I am very conflicted. Went back to my dentist she said she does not see decay and did not redo the filling (she didn’t reject that option but it would be difficult because I have a permanent retainer there). I have an appt with a different endodontist in same practice I went to who did a root canal for me when I was 14 (on a tooth that DID need it). Maybe she will have more answers for me, I don’t know. I’m trying to preserve my teeth as best as possible. My hygiene has been phenomenal since I had the work done and I try my best to take care of my teeth.

the pain has diminished significantly. I am aware that isn’t always a good sign. However, I have pain under my right nostril in that tooth when I put pressure. No abscess comes up on xray. What would your hypothesis be? I’m just curious. Can any of this be sinus related? All dentists have told me no - it would affect the back teeth more than the front.

I have a left maxillary polyp/retention cyst that was seen on an mri. I have been diagnosed with chronic sinusitis by an ENT. Never had tooth pain though before this.

Last edited:

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I would wait for the second opinion from the other endodontist.
Ask if they can take a 3D CBCT scan of the tooth. Might give more information.

Vote:

Ask a Question