Tooth after a jaw trauma

Hello!

I need a bit of advice regarding an injury I recently sustained. After a fall on cobblestones (which resulted in stitches on my chin), I noticed that one of my lower front teeth (an incisor) has slightly (about 1 mm) shifted forward compared to the others (without any bleeding). On a daily basis, the tooth doesn’t hurt, doesn’t bleed, doesn’t move significantly (it is not "loose" - when I press it with my tongue, it stays still), and the gum is not swollen. However, with certain jaw movements (e.g., moving the jaw forward, opening my jaw really wide, or pronouncing the letters "u", "s", "z"), I feel a strange "clicking" or "grinding" sensation around the gum area. Additionally, the tooth is still quite sensitive - when I tap on it, I feel discomfort. The same happens when I eat, and the tooth is pressed by other teeth - sometimes I feel that strange "clicking," and sometimes just discomfort (as if the tooth might fall out or break under significant pressure). I’m going to the dentist this Wednesday for an X-ray, but since I’m a bit anxious - do you think there’s something to be really worried about?

Thank you in advance!

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The x-ray will give is more information, but if the tooth shifted and the accident happened a while back, there won't be anything that can be done with regards to the positioning of the tooth. I would monitor the tooth only, since there is a chance the nerve got damaged. It can take a while for any changes to appear on an x-ray. If the tooth is asymptomatic, and the positioning bothers you, then you will have to consider some sort of orthodontic intervention.

Vote:
The x-ray will give is more information, but if the tooth shifted and the accident happened a while back, there won't be anything that can be done with regards to the positioning of the tooth. I would monitor the tooth only, since there is a chance the nerve got damaged. It can take a while for any changes to appear on an x-ray. If the tooth is asymptomatic, and the positioning bothers you, then you will have to consider some sort of orthodontic intervention.
Thank you very much for your opinion! I really appreciate it :)
By the way, just got the X-ray results - here's the photo of the problematic tooth:

1722462905843.png

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Looks like there is widening of the ligament. This is common after trauma. I would observe the tooth for now only, until symptoms either subside or it becomes severe.

Vote:

Ask a Question