Temporary filling after infection

Hi , today I have had a temporary filling after 3 weeks of extreme pain after a filling fell out and the area became infected.
I wasn't able to get a dentist appointment until today. I was however given antibiotics a week ago . So this helped .
However the area is still painful and even today with the temporary filling the area is painful.

I am booked in to have a permanent filling.
But I am concerned that the tooth actually needs removing instead.

Is it normal to have the tooth hurt for a while after a temporary filling?

Any advice appreciated , thanks 😊

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If the tooth is still painful, it does not necessarily mean that the tooth needs to be extracted. Could be that you need a root canal instead.

Vote:
If you notice sensitivity to hot and cold stimuli, it's conceivable that your cavity is near the pulp or too deep. Traditionally, this would necessitate a root canal treatment. However, due to recent advances in dental techniques, it may be possible to avoid a root canal procedure.
The dentist can use a base liner technique, which involves applying a combination of ingredients such as glass ionomer cement or Biodentine using a layered approach, either directly onto the pulp, or indirectly, if the pulp chamber (tooth nerve) is not exposed. A final layer of composite resin can then be added on top to seal everything firmly in place. This significantly reduces any risk of leakage into the pulp chamber and also aids in regenerating lost dentin.
It's crucial to note that these techniques only work if the decay has not reached the pulp chamber (tooth nerve). The closest the decay is to the pulp, the lesser the chances. If it has, you may ask your dentist to prescribe you a strong antibiotic like clindamycin and amoxicillin, which could potentially eradicate the infection without necessitating a root canal. In cases where the infection persists, root canal treatment might be unavoidable. By utilising a 2-layered or 3-layered base liner approach with GIC or/and Biodentine, and composite resin, you can create a strong, long-lasting dental restoration while minimising the risk of complications such as sensitivity or microleakage, and potentially avoid the root canal. Please be aware that temporary fillings don't bond well to the tooth structure like some permanent fillings, and leaving them in place for extended periods may lead to microleakage and infections.
In the meantime, a recent dental study on Tibetan herb Padma 28 (while not conducted in a mainstream setting) has purportedly found it may help prevent root canal infections.

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question