Sensitive Teeth

I had 2 fillings done about four months ago and it has been sensitive to pressure and cold. It was so bad that I couldn’t crunch down on anything relatively hard and needed to moisten things in my mouth before I started chewing. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago I got both my fillings redone at a different dentist. Overall, the sensitivity is much less but it’s still not perfect. I can’t break something like a hard candy on those teeth (molars) and it’s still a bit sensitive to cold water.

My question is should I keep trying to get them fixed or am I just out of luck and my teeth are going to be this sensitive forever?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The sensitivity is dependent on a lot of factors. After a filling is done, there is a normal period of post operative sensitivity. This usually subsides over time. If the filling was deep and close to the nerve or pulp chamber, then there is also a chance of sensitivity.
If there is gum recession on the tooth, you could have exposed tooth necks or exposed dentin, leading to sensitivity. This could all lead to sensitivity.
Try using some Sensodyne toothpaste. Rub it on the affected areas for one minute, three times a day and then leave it on. Don't rinse it off. This should help.

Vote:

Ask a Question