Seemingly chipped back of front tooth, how bad is it?

photo:
last night i was eating a sandwich, nothing hard at all, and i felt what seemed to be a loose piece of tooth in my mouth (spit it out). after that i felt a sharpness/jaggedness between my front teeth. i looked with a mirror (photo) and saw that dark spot on one of them, which i assume is the chip where it came from. i’ve always had fragile/brittle teeth, and ive been working on not grinding them, hence why they’re so jagged (i wear a mouth guard at night now). but this is making me super worried that my tooth is going to break completely or something. i don’t know why it’s so dark, or if it’s an emergency, or what. i called my dentists office and they can’t get me in for ages, and i don’t know what to do or how bad this is. any/all advice very welcome, i’m panicking lol

background: never smoked, rarely drink. i’ve had a few cavities filled, and i think one may have been between my front teeth, but i’m not 100% sure.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The dark spot is a cavity and not a chip. It requires a filling to be done. This is not an emergency, but it needs to be done as soon as you have time.

Vote:

Ask a Question