Question about Wisdom Teeth Extraction

Not sure if this is the right spot for this type of question. My apologies if it's not. My question is if I had a wisdom tooth extraction (#17) and during my procedure they knocked my hard cap off my tooth (#18). They told me about it then and said they would reattach it. Which they did. Then about 3 weeks later my tooth (#18) is gone. They brought me back in and said it's because of the decay. This is also a tooth that has already had a root canal. They said it was only filling left and that's why it went. Maybe they are correct. I just find it hard to believe that them removing the hard cap didn't have any effect on it. If the tooth was so decayed, could they not have seen that when the cap came off? Is it possible when they were ripping my Wisdom tooth out they damaged the filling?

They say implant is my only other option and that $4000+. Appreciate anyone's take on this.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Do you have an x-ray of the tooth with the cap on prior to the extraction? Might be possible to see signs of decay prior to the extraction of the adjacent tooth.

Vote:

Ask a Question