Question about Oroantral Fistula Closure (OAF) - Bone graft or no bone graft.

I had Molar # 2 removed 3 weeks ago (it was a root canal that went bad after 15 years). There was a sinus communication detected during extraction (large lesion and radicular cyst likely compromised sinus floor). Periodontist tried closing it. After stitches came out communication was felt again.

First oral surgeon is talking about block bone graft and then Buccal Fat. ($5.5k procedure - won't work with insurance)

2nd opinion said bone graft will likely fail and to just do Buccal Fat and Buccal flap to close it first, then consider bone graft later on if bone situation improves. ($1.1K procedure out of pocket).

Money not the issue. Doing the right thing is.

The boney defect is 10.97mm across.

Any experienced oral surgeons have an opinion? Is the 2nd opinion more conservative or way too conservative? He said if bone graft doesn't take, because of the size of the defect, and the thin surrounding bone, I will have dead bone floating in there causing chronic infection.

Attached is the CBCT image (2 angles) of the defect in the sinus floor.

I appreciate any input. Just trying to make the best decision.

Attachments

• OAF.png
    OAF.png
    796 KB · Views: 6

Ask a Question