Partials or full lower denture?

I am having all my teeth removed on my lower jaw besides the front 6 teeth which the dentist wants to retain.
These teeth are not attractive straight teeth.
Since I am intending on finishing with permanently fixed dentures on studs, is it not stronger to have a complete lower denture as opposed to keeping the front 6 teeth and having two fixed partial dentures on either side?
Is there a preference for eating etc in the long run?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Why did the dentist recommend that you keep the six teeth? If you are getting implants, it is better to maybe consider getting a full lower implant supported denture. You could perhaps put in an extra 2 implants in place of the 6 remaining lowers, in order to retain the bone in that area

Vote:
I am not sure. It doesn't quite make sense to me. The only thing I can think of is that they can support two partials during the healing process prior to the other implants being put in place.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
That part does make sense. If you are willing to walk around with a full lower loose denture for a while, until the implants are placed and integrates, then you can discuss this option with your dentist as well.

Vote:
Thank you. For some or other reason, he seems he'll bent on keeping the front lower 6 teeth and repairing them even though they are scew. I cannot believe that two implant supported partials either side of these would be stronger than an single complete implant supported lower denture? See pic. Am I correct or misguided here.
I fully understand that I would have to endure a full lower loose denture until healing takes place.
I am looking for guidance here.

Attachments

• 17256582444547799051539819907520.jpg
    17256582444547799051539819907520.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 3

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
How many implants is being placed for the partials? I don't see an issue with removing these teeth as well, especially since it will greatly improve aesthetics.
Do you have an x-ray you could share?

Vote:
How many implants is being placed for the partials? I don't see an issue with removing these teeth as well, especially since it will greatly improve aesthetics.
Do you have an x-ray you could share?
I don't. The dentist and implant surgeon have them. The implant surgeon has removed teeth over three operations and done a couple of bone grafts. There are 5 teeth left upper on left side and three molars left lower left side besides the 6 lower front teeth which he is planning on keeping.
I want the all the extractions completed now as soon as possible so that I can begin the rebuilding process.
Surely this can be done in one go now under conscious sedation?
I have an entire right hand top and bottom with 8 month healed surgery since the last op. This must surely be enough for temporary dentures to work against.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Perhaps get another opinion from another dentist if you are not happy with the route that the current treatment plan is going.

Vote:

Ask a Question