Mystery Gap in Tooth and other issues

I should preface this by saying that my mother's side of the family does have running dental problems, and I haven't been able to afford dental care since I was a child (trying to get an appointment right now though), but I have a question that I hope can be answered here. Almost a year ago a gap started forming between my front teeth. I have very large front teeth and a small jaw so my front teeth always somewhat looked stuck together before this. I noticed it while eating, I thought something was stuck between my teeth and tried to get it out with a toothpick, which may have caused this issue or made it worse, since I never actually found what was stuck between my teeth. I kind of ignored to problem since it started because I can't afford to get it fixed and I'm used to having health problems. This morning when I looked closely in the mirror though, I realized if I turned my head slightly to the side I could see into this gap, and see the inner layers(?) of my tooth. Furthermore, I realized that at the back of my teeth, this same gap/hole(?) was starting to form, although very slowly. It doesn't hurt in anyway when I try to do anything, but I'm not sure what has caused this. Furthermore, when the gap initially started forming, one tooth began overlapping the other, because there's so little space in my jaw (I still have an adult tooth that hasn't grown in because there was apparently not enough room in my jaw). Safe to say I am very concerned as to what's going on with my teeth right now. I'm sure I have a slew of other dental issues, my oral hygeine is frankly abysmal due to a lot of mental health issues and I haven't seen a dentist since I was in elementary school, but nothing has ever really concerned me until I noticed this.

Thanks for any advice you can give! I am trying to get an appointment with a dentist while I still have a little bit of dental coverage but I would like to go into that appointment having some idea of what this could be.

Ask a Question