Implant really necessary?

Back in May a bump appeared on my lower left gums. )now identified as being between teeth # 20-21).
I was experiencing some moderate pain when I was chewing a “hard” food like steak / chicken - no sensitivity to hot/cold.
I went to dentist. He took an x-Ray he suspected a fractured tooth but couldn’t definitively determine from x-Ray He suggested let it be and wait.
After about 2 weeks the pain resolved - didn’t cause me any more problems

I went to the dentist last week for cleaning / checkup He noticed a bump in the same area from May with a white head. He said the white area was pus. It was a fistula - must be infection in the gum area trying to escape.
Probable cause - fractured tooth.
He referred me to a periodontist who reviewed the x-ray from dentist
He concurred with diagnosis of fractured tooth and recommended implant as only option.

Between implant and crown with dentist will total about $6,000.

I’m having a tough time justifying $6,000 for a tooth that is not bothering me.

Comments/ suggestions for alternatives including just waiting - greatly appreciated

BTW - I am 74 years old.

Thank you in advance for you comments/ suggestions.

Tom

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You don't need an implant, but at least get the tooth removed, to prevent spread of the infection to adjacent areas. The reason why you are not experiencing pain is due to the bump or pimple on the gum. We call that a draining sinus. The infection is draining through the sinus, preventing a pressure build up, which prevents a big pain response. The problem is that the sinus can become blocked at any time, leading to severe pain and a large facial swelling, sometimes overnight.
If you still have enough teeth to function and you don't really mind aesthetics, then I would not push you to get an implant

Vote:

Ask a Question