How long can pain last after extraction?

Hello,

2.5 months ago I had my lower wisdom teeth removed, and I am still in pain. I’ve been back to the oral surgeon twice and he did an xray, CBCT and exam. He said everything looks normal and he cannot find a reason for the pain, other than just slow healing. He said some people can take longer.

But he also said normal healing is 2-4 weeks max. And most people feel totally normal by day 10.

So while I know this isn’t the expected outcome, Im just wondering if this is at all a “normal” occurrence. Has anyone on here seen anyone have pain for this long (or longer) after removal?

He did say I had dry socket at the 2 week follow up, I know that can delay healing too. But I am still getting the “dry socket” pain though (the intense burning, aching in the socket that radiates to inside my ear and temple) so maybe that’s not what that was either, because shouldn’t that be long healed?

I’m considering going for a second opinion but don’t want to waste money if I really don’t need to.

I have no other health issues, don’t smoke or drink and no drugs. the removal was fairly simple. It took 20 minutes and they were not impacted; one was causing pain and though I had no issues with the other they recommended doing both at the same time so I did. He said the roots were long and fine so he had to “dig around” for them. I am 30 years old.

I’m just so tired of being in pain.

Ask a Question