How long are veneers supposed to last? [UK]

I have had a veneer on both of my lateral incisors since I was 17 (2003) as they were not growing to full size. I was told they may last 10-15 years at the time.

I am currently 38, so they have lasted 21 years so far.

I am wanting to have my teeth whitened but, whilst I can afford the whitening, having to have new veneers made (as whitening does not work on veneers) will bump the overall cost up a lot.

I was hoping to wait for the veneers to start to fail before I paid for whitening and new veneers but they appear to be lasting forever!

Solution
I have had a veneer on both of my lateral incisors since I was 17 (2003) as they were not growing to full size. I was told they may last 10-15 years at the time.

I am wanting to have my teeth whitened but, whilst I can afford the whitening, having to have new veneers made (as whitening does not work on veneers) will bump the overall cost up a lot.

I was hoping to wait for the veneers to start to fail before I paid for whitening and new veneers but they appear to be lasting forever!

That's a tough one! It's great that your veneers have lasted so long. I've heard of similar cases where dental work has exceeded expectations. Have you considered discussing your options with...

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Do you have crowns or veneers? While you can whiten your teeth, the veneers or crowns will unfortunately not change colour. Do you have a photo to that you can share?

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
My advice would be to not mess with something, if there is no indication to do so. If your main concern is aesthetics only, perhaps wait until it really bothers you, and then consider removing the veneers.

Vote:
Solutions

That's a tough one! It's great that your veneers have lasted so long. I've heard of similar cases where dental work has exceeded expectations. Have you considered discussing your options with a cosmetic dentist? They might be able to offer solutions like teeth whitening treatments that are safe for veneers or explore other cosmetic options to brighten your smile without replacing the veneers.

Vote:
Solution

Your veneers have lasted much longer than expected, which is impressive since porcelain veneers usually last 10 to 15+ years, direct composite veneers last 5 to 7 years, and indirect composite veneers last 7 to 10 years.

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question