Has my implant failed?

I had an implant placed and the crown put on #3 (I believe #3 it is top right 3rd back from canine) about two weeks ago. I also have other dental issues with my back teeth including the one directly below the implant. I tried biting on a floss pick between the implant tooth and and the suspected tooth below it about two days after the crown was installed to see if there was pain in the lower tooth and heard a crack and a pain in the bone of the implant. Now when I bite on anything that is firm I get a pain in the bone where the implant is. It doesn't hurt unless I bite on something firm. Out of embarrassment I didn't tell my endodontist how I did it I just told her my implant hurt when I chewed. She did an X-Ray and other tests and said the implant looks good. My question is will it normally heal? Should I tell the endodontist how I did it? Thanks.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Are you sure the pain is from the implant and not possible referred pain from the lower tooth? Do you have an x-ray of the lower tooth? I would not jump to any conclusions that the implant has failed.

Vote:
Thank you for your reply. I am certain the pain is from the implant. It feels like the pain is inside the bone. If I gently push on the implant it is slightly painful. The implant doesn't appear to be loose and my endodontist took an x-ray and looked at it and said it was fine. I accidentally bit down on a piece of chicken bone a couple of nights ago and it was very painful. Now I am chewing slowly and gently in case I bite down on something. It is just concerning. Hopefully if I take it easy chewing it will get better. I am just concerned I broke it loose from the bone. The pain only started immediately when heard the crack biting down on the dental pick trying to see if my lower tooth had an issue. My right side is the only side I have to chew on since I had two extractions on the upper left.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
To dislodge the implant from the bone is extremely unlikely. There is a chance that you could have cracked the implant crown and now there is some movement on the soft tissue when you bite down, leading to pain.
Perhaps go for a second opinion at another dentist.

Vote:

Ask a Question