Hard pressure, tension, feeling near upper left rear molar

Hello,

The last couple of days I have a sort of continuous feeling of pressure around my left upper molar, I think it's called the 2nd molar? I can't say for sure it's the tooth that hurts, sometimes it feels more like it's the jaw. It's around the area and difficult to pin down. The level of pain comes and goes, and I have the idea that it decays when I'm lying down or not using my jaw. When I wake up in the morning the pain feeling is completely gone, and comes and goes during the day. I can best describe it as someone tightening a screw and putting a lot of pressure on it.

I've only had one day, last Wednesday, were the pain was so constant throughout the day were I felt the need to take a pain killer. On Thursday it felt more like the environment around the tooth was slightly bruised. Friday and Saturday the pressure feeling comes and goes again, but is definitely manageable and a lot of time not even noticeable.

I called my dentist on Wednesday, but it was her last day before her 3 week holiday, and she told me that it's strange to feel something a month after an intervention, and we now only have the last resort of pulling the tooth, but as I don't wake up from pain of really feel the need to take pain killers, to try and sit it out, take a pain killer when the need arrives, and check back in after she returns from her holiday. She also told me that taking a photo wouldn't yet show signs of an infection. So I have no pictures at the moment.

I have no pain when biting on it, at least with tender things. Hard items such as a peanut I can definitely feel but that has been the case the last couple of years. No issues with hot or cold, or when brushing my teeth.

The reason I'm pointing to that tooth is because it's the one were 30 days ago I had a filling put in. The tooth has been under repair for at least 5 years, and in February a special deep filling was put in, which had to sit and heal for 3 months before the filling could be properly finalized, which was then done at the beginning of June. I don't know the name of the material used. A week later however another side of the tooth broke of, I think it was just too loose from the other side which had the filling. I was chewing on a sandwich and it just dropped out. This was fixed on the 18th of June. I had the default sensitivity issues the first couple of days, but after a good week all seemed back to normal.

Fast forward to last weekend and I wasn't feeling too great, signs of a common cold maybe but that was gone after a day or 2 and for some reason I had a more elevated hearth rate. But I kept feeling some very very mild discomfort around that part of my tooth/jaw. Wednesday the 17th I woke up and started my day which had a lot of calls and meetings, so a lot of talking, and throughout the day the pain got more and more severe. It felt like someone put a rubber band around the area and was constantly squeezing it. Looking online for symptoms I read a lot about "nagging pain" or "throbbing pain", related to a nerve pain and tooth decay, but I never felt something like this before so I find it difficult to say it's this or that. I don't really know what a "nagging pain" feels like. I also can't say I'm really experiencing any other symptoms which they always describe.

I have the feeling it comes more as I am using my jaw, after eating a large meal for example, or talking a lot. A snack or breakfast this morning is hardly noticeable, but I do feel there is something there, pain wise. When lying down on the couch or in bed it tends to disappear.

I can't really find myself in most of the symptoms described online. Anyone any ideas on what this could be? Or the beginning of? As I mentioned before, my regular dentist is currently on holiday and I can manage it but don't quite know what I might expect the next couple of days/weeks? I don't just want to contact another clinic and/or have the tooth removed as the issue might be something else?

Last edited:

Ask a Question