Gum cut while flossing, persistent redness and irritation after 2ish weeks

Hello!

So, around two weeks ago, I believe I accidentally cut my gums between teeth 28 and 29 while flossing. There was some intermittent bleeding from the area. I knew it wasn't gingivitis, as the gum wasn't inflamed and I'd had a dental cleaning with a clean bill of health about three weeks or so prior. I made sure to be extra careful with the area over the next few days to a week, getting some bleeding over the next two days but noticeably less, with the bleeding disappearing entirely within 3-4 days.

However, sensitivity in the area has persisted. I'm not sure if this is normal, but the gum in the area-- though not red typically-- would get reddened after using a water flosser, and this redness would linger for a bit (20 minutes to an hour). Additionally, using the water flosser would continue to sting in the area. The type of stinging was exactly what I'd associate with an open wound or cut: it wasn't soreness or a deep pain, but one that felt sharp and superficial. I use the highest pressure setting as my teeth are used to it. This doesn't happen with any of my other teeth. I use both water flossing and string floss, and did not notice any heightened sensitivity while string flossing.

Then, earlier this morning, while water flossing, the stinging was worse, and I noticed some (light) bleeding again despite it being two weeks later. When water flossing and string flossing tonight, there was no bleeding, but the redness persisted and later dissipated after flossing and water flossing.

What should I do? Is it possible that the cut was healing and that I may have slightly reopened it? I don't see any signs of infection or anything like that. My dental insurance isn't great, so I would prefer any options that don't end with visiting the dentist. The cut isn't giving me any pain, but I worry about the fact that it hasn't fully healed by now-- especially because healing has happened relatively quickly when I've cut my gum other times. Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated!

Gently rinse your mouth with warm salt water several times daily to alleviate inflammation and support the healing process. If you have aloe vera juice at home, apply it directly to the affected area using a cotton swab and leave it on for 15-20 minutes before rinsing. In case of severe pain or persistent discomfort, consider using an over-the-counter product like Orabase or Orajel. Alternatively, GUM SensiVital toothpaste is available at Walmart or Amazon, and can be applied twice daily for 7 days using a cotton swab directly to the affected area.

Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question