Do I really need 10 fillings? (images attached)

I'm abroad in South America (Lima, Peru) for several months and was told that I need 9-10 fillings by two separate dentists (top-rated dentists in touristy areas). In recent years I've needed ~1 filling per year, last checkup in the US was ~9 months ago and nothing was flagged by my dentist then.

The dentists here didn't take any X-rays or do any prodding, just looked at my teeth and took pictures. I asked about high fluoride toothpaste and was told that it's literally unavailable in Peru and that it wouldn't help me anyway.

If I need the fillings I'd prefer getting them done here as it's much more affordable, but I obviously don't want to get any unnecessary work done.

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• A.jpeg
    A.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 2
  • B.jpeg
    B.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 2
  • C.jpeg
    C.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 2
  • D.jpeg
    D.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 2
  • E.jpeg
    E.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 2
  • F.jpeg
    F.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 2
  • G.jpeg
    G.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 2
  • H.jpeg
    H.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 2
  • I.jpeg
    I.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 2
  • J.jpeg
    J.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 2

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I would not recommend getting all the fillings immediately. There are some issues, such as chips here and there, and an open gap between 2 teeth, which might create a food trap. All of this is not an emergency. Some of the dark spots you see, could just be staining or arrested caries. You would need to probe these areas and also take an x-ray to confirm the presence of actual decay. If you are not in pain, I would recommend practicing good oral hygiene and then wait until you are back home to see your regular and trusted dentist.

Vote:

Ask a Question