Denture journey

am reaching out to the community in hopes of finding other individuals who have shared maybe some of the same experiences I am right now as I am trying to navigate through my journey of regaining my smile and ability to eat healthy food again.

I am 37 years old and just had all of what was left of my teeth extracted and bone shaved down on my upper right side, on 7/16 this past Tuesday. I was given my upper denture last month after going through the traditional process of creating it. I am also a recovering drug addict, and do realize that the reality of my condition is mostly due to not caring for my teeth. However, I have continued to live this way for 4 years of sobriety because of fear of going to the dentist and facing it.

A family member of mine is a retired DDS who has had a successful practice in our town that I am currently seeing for the denture process. He has been a great support and with my dental insurance that I have through my job he has helped me pay the remaining balance of the extractions. Blessed and grateful.

However, at the beginning of the denture process, I was asked for pictures of myself when my teeth were healthy. I provided many different angles. I was asked if there were any imperfections I didn’t want or did want, I responded that I loved my teeth as they were and wanted whatever was the closest possible way to retain that.

Fast forward a few weeks I received a top denture because he doesn’t believe in it being beneficial to work with an immediate bottom denture bc he thinks I won’t be able to utilize it. He said “I have made a few in the past and was told I was a fool for trying because it never works out” I feel like he is shutting down my experience and basing the outcome on situations that aren’t relatable to mine and also technology is much more advanced.

I wouldn’t have had anything to compare it too if I hadn’t of had the expectation of the denture looking like my previous teeth, in the slightest.

Also, If you were in the situation where you were getting fitted for dentures, and work neeeded to be done to fit better, and the dentist says “the lathe hasn’t worked in a while” would you feel like that practice has the experience and technology to create the best look and fitting of dentures for you?

In your professional opinion or personal experience do you feel like in 2024 there is a better way to make dentures than the traditional way of molds? Or is there a more efficient way like 3d images and printing?

Any advice is very appreciated and welcome. I feel like because I have the financial support and advice of this family member, like I’m stuck and am trying to advocate and I’m not being heard.

Ask a Question