Dental veneer opening?

Hello Today at a routine cleaning, My dentist saw on an X-ray that one of my dental veneers is starting to "open". I asked if we should replace it sooner rather than later and she said we should just watch it and see. I'm due to go back in 4 months. She said there was no decay that she could see.
I'd also like to mention that my veneers are less than 2 years old :( I'd like some insight as to what she means by "opening" and also what could have caused this to happen. Lastly, why wouldn't she want to fix/replace the veneer right away?

Thank you!

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If the veneer is very thin, there is a chance that you could break it by removing it forcibly instead of leaving it to come loose by itself.
Veneers do sometimes need to be re-cemented, since the cement underneath the veneer might degrade over time, or the veneer becomes loose, due to biting into something too hard.
It might be that the dentist noted a space between your tooth and veneer, which might indicate that it is in the process of becoming loose.

Vote:

Ask a Question