Dental implant sinus lift surgery question

I wanted to provide a brief history before my dental implant and sinus lift surgery:

In 2019, I had a root canal that failed, and I developed an infection. I went to an oral surgeon who removed the infection and bone graft material was inserted so that I could later have a dental implant. I was unable to pay the $5,000 (out of pocket) OOP cost at that time, so the dental implant was never placed. In September 2023, my general dentist advised me to get a dental implant. The dentist was unable to perform the surgery because a dental cone beam CT scan showed that I didn’t have enough bone height in the upper jaw for a dental implant so he recommended I go to an oral surgeon for a sinus lift and dental implant surgery. I was then referred me to an oral surgeon.

History with Oral Surgeon:

On 11/20/2023, I went in for a sinus lift and dental implant surgery. I was prescribed Chlorhexidine, Ibuprofen, Dexamethasone, and Oxycodone. I experienced several complications, which I documented below:

-After the surgery, I developed an extremely painful sinus infection. I had my second visit with the oral surgeon on 11/28/23. The scan showed I had a perforated membrane, and there was bone graft material in my sinus cavities. I was prescribed Amoxicillin-clav 875mg. and pseudoephedrine 30 mg tablet. The surgeon indicated that membrane perforation is a well-documented complication that occurs in a sinus lift surgery, but most of the time the membrane heals on its own without any intervention.

-I had a 3rd visit with my surgeon on 12/7/23 due to significant pain in my right ear and the gum around the implant was throbbing. The surgeon prescribed Amoxicillin-clav 875mg, and more mouth rinse Chlorhexidine. I was on the amoxicillin for so long that I had diarrhea for several weeks.

-I had a 4th visit with my surgeon on 12/15/23 because my symptoms had still not improved. I was prescribed more amoxicillin $2.57. The pain in my ear was so severe that he referred me to an ENT.

*During each of my visits with the surgeon, he continually repeated that he’s never seen this happen before and doesn’t know of anything else he can do to help my situation.

ENT history:

My first visit with the ENT was on 12/18/23. The Physician’s Assistant (PA) said there was significant sinus inflammation and prescribed an oral steroid, Prednisone 20mg and a nasal spray, Azelastine. After a few days, there was minimal improvement, and I continued to endure severe ear pain due to developing eustachian tube dysfunction (ETD).

-I went back to the ENT for a second visit on 1/2/24. The PA placed an ear tube in my right ear to help the middle ear drain and relieve pressure since I had ETD. I was also given a steroid injection in my ear, Triamcinolone acetone. I was prescribed oral eardrops, Neomyocin-polymyxine-hc ear solution and muscle relaxer, Tizanidine.

-On 1/24/24, I went to the ENT for a 3rd visit where a CT scan of my sinuses was ordered. The PA also prescribed allergy medication, Cetirizine $11.95 to help reduce sinus inflammation caused by some seasonal allergies.

-The CT scan was completed on 2/1/24.

-I went back to ENT for a 4th visit on 2/20/24 to discuss CT results and I received another steroid injection, Triamcinolone acetone. CT scan showed mild hypertrophy of the right inferior turbinate and mild deviation of the nasal septum to the left with a bony spur indenting the left inferior turbinate.

- I had this sinus lift surgery over 6 months ago, and I am still dealing with chronic sinus pressure that has been very difficult to relieve. Currently, I am still experiencing a constant itching, and tingling sensation around the dental implant. I was supposed to get a crown placed back in February but have been unable to because anytime I eat or move the implant, the itching and tingling sensation worsens.

-I went to my general dentist on 4/25/24 to discuss my concerns. An x-ray was taken, and he was unable to find any signs of infection. He prescribed an antibiotic, Cephalexin 500mg. Unfortunately, the antibiotic did nothing to improve my symptoms.

-I have never experienced any sinus issues in the past. However, after the implant surgery, I developed chronic sinusitis and ETD. I was in constant agonizing pain for almost 3 months and could not perform my normal activities and I missed weeks of work.

Between the office visits to the ENT and prescriptions, I’ve had to spend over $1,300 OOP. I have also spent hundreds of dollars outside of the office visits and prescriptions trying to relieve the sinus pressure.
I'm not sure what to do from here. Has anyone ever seen this happen before? Looking for advice.

Ask a Question