Could Crowns fix my tooth-surface loss problem?

Hi there,

I recently had a check-up with my local dentist in Britain who belongs to the {my}dentist dentistry group. I was told that I have some "tooth-surface loss" over the tops of my teeth, though it is minimal. For some years now I have had a problem with chewing on anything that is not soft, and I now understand that this "tooth-surface loss" is the problem. I think this problem began because some years ago I remember on a handful of occasions I unluckily had some grit in what I was eating which probably fractured the tops of my molars a little. Though, I don't think that can account for the problem entirely, as I think it has worsened since then, and I suspect that the high level of stress in my life—increasing the acidity in my body, I guess—, my habitually dry mouth, and possibly bruxism (though I haven't confirmed this last one yet) have all contributed to the problem.

The dentist I mentioned told me that there is nothing to be done about it, and that any "fillings" would just fall-off as my teeth are otherwise still whole and complete. Besides some minor gingivitis, which I am going to treat, my teeth are healthy; albeit a little crooked by genetics, though I'm considering braces (I am in my thirties).

So would Crowns be a solution for me? If so, are the cheaper metal variety just as good as the more expensive porcelain kind? I guess that the metal kind are cheaper because they are uglier, but I really don't mind about that so-long as they're not significantly inferior is terms of their function, and so-long as they're not a health hazard.

Was this dentist correct to say that there is nothing to be done about it? I noticed after the appointment that this dentist's prices are about half that of other dentists in my area, and so I wonder whether this dentist was cheaper because he was less knowledgeable and proficient? Though that's just speculation on my part and I have no solid reason to suspect this of him otherwise.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It depends on the amount of tooth structure loss. The enamel loss could also be normal due to normal functioning or grinding habits. I would not recommend crowns if the loss is minimal. To prepare a crown on the tooth, you would need to sacrifice otherwise healthy tooth structure. Maybe consider getting a bite plate first. This will help to protect your remaining tooth structure.

Vote:

Ask a Question