Concerned about recent full mouth veneer preparation

I recently had my teeth prepared for a comprehensive treatment plan, but after getting a second opinion from another dentist, I'm quite worried about the quality of the work and the amount of tooth structure removed. I'm looking for another perspective on the preparation.

My treatment plan included:
  • Pressed ceramic veneers (e.max) for teeth 13-23 and 43-33
  • Pressed ceramic onlays for teeth 15-14, 24-25, 44-45, and 34-35
  • Zircon crowns for teeth 47-48 and 37-38
Unfortunately, I don't have photos of the teeth after preparation, but I have screenshots from the 3D model scan, which I am attaching here. (I can also share my photos before the treatment and the 3shape files in PM if needed). Could you please help me to understand:
  1. Does the preparation look appropriate and conservative, especially considering the extensive nature of the treatment?
  2. Is there any indication of over-reduction or concerning aspects in any of the prepared areas?
  3. What are your honest thoughts on the overall quality of the prep work for the veneers, onlays, and crowns?
I understand it's not possible to give a definitive diagnosis here online, but any professional impressions would be incredibly valuable to me right now. I'm at a bit of a crossroads with my treatment, and these opinions could help with my next steps.

Attachments

• Preparation - both jaws 1.png
    Preparation - both jaws 1.png
    486.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Preparation - both jaws 2.png
    Preparation - both jaws 2.png
    460.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Preparation - both jaws 3.png
    Preparation - both jaws 3.png
    452.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Preparation - both jaws 4.png
    Preparation - both jaws 4.png
    425.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Preparation - lower jaw 1.png
    Preparation - lower jaw 1.png
    492.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Preparation - lower jaw 2.png
    Preparation - lower jaw 2.png
    500.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Preparation - lower jaw 3.png
    Preparation - lower jaw 3.png
    502.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Preparation - upper jaw 1.png
    Preparation - upper jaw 1.png
    467.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Preparation - upper jaw 2.png
    Preparation - upper jaw 2.png
    483.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Preparation - upper jaw 3.png
    Preparation - upper jaw 3.png
    485.7 KB · Views: 4

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
What specifically are your concerns? To determine if a specific tooth was over-prepped, you would need more information? You would need to measure the amount of tooth structure removed and thus would need to see how the tooth looked before the time.
You also need to take into consideration the ''bite '' of your lower jaw with your top jaw, in terms of space available, as well as the minimum amount of prep that is needed, based on the material that is used.
You then also look at the individual nerve or pulp chamber of the tooth, to determine how much can be taken off the tooth. Anatomy varies between various teeth.
I have found that taking a bit more away on a veneer prep, increases the thickness of the material and therefore also the strength of the veneers. I have done lots of minimal prep veneers as well as some no-prep veneers, but these tend to sometimes de-bond or fracture.
We advise the patients to wear retainers or bite-plates in order to protect the veneers, but the patients do not always adhere to these recommendations.

Vote:
Thank you so much for your reply!

The doctor I visited for the second opinion suggested excessive tooth structure removal and rough preparation. I had large gaps between my teeth and according to him, because of the gaps, the preparation could have been minimal. There were also concerns about polishing and potential future complications with bonding and cementation.

Would it be appropriate to share with you photos of my teeth before the preparation in a private message? I also have an X-ray and 3d model files of the impression of my teeth before and after preparation.

Vote:

Ask a Question