Cold sensitivity three weeks after a large filling?

I got this cavity filled:

image (2) highlighted.png

It was actually fine, a little cold sensitivity, until the end of week 2.

But I definitely over did it with flossing between those teeth (after every meal, about 5 times a day).

Eventually after so much flossing, I went to floss and got very noticeable pressure sensitivity (which I never got after the filling for the two week period).

That has gone, but cold sensitivity is very apparent now.

Is it possible all that excess flossing irritated the nerve, and now I have heightened cold sensitivity? (no sensitivity to heat or warm fluids, only cold)

16th July 1 outside.jpg
16th July 2.jpg

This is the inside and outside of the filled tooth, pics taken today on my camera phone.

I hardly displaced or debonded some of the filling with all that flossing, and that's causing the sensitivity?

Any idea what might be happening here?

Again, only very minor cold sensitivity two weeks after the filling, but after going heavy with flossing, pressure and cold sensitivity eventually emerged.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It seems like it was a very deep filling. A more recent x-ray will most likely show that the filling is close to the nerve. If the filling is very close to the nerve, it is normal to have some cold sensitivity. If the symptoms become more severe and you start having spontaneous pain as well, it might mean that the nerve was affected, or that the filling went into the nerve, and then it is an indication of a root canal that is needed.

Vote:
It seems like it was a very deep filling. A more recent x-ray will most likely show that the filling is close to the nerve. If the filling is very close to the nerve, it is normal to have some cold sensitivity. If the symptoms become more severe and you start having spontaneous pain as well, it might mean that the nerve was affected, or that the filling went into the nerve, and then it is an indication of a root canal that is needed.
Do you think all that heavy flossing (five times a day) on teeth overlapping as per the x-ray, could have exacerbated the sensitivity?

See for the first period after getting the filling, like the first week, there was no pain or sensitivity at all.

It only emerged after that after I began this heavy flossing routine, and of course cause of how tight the teeth are, I really had to grind/force the floss in there.
I had no idea it would affect the tooth nerve however.

It may be difficult to comment on whether that is or is not the case without seeing an updated x-ray?

But could that be possible?

And if the sensitivity was a result of heavy/uncomfortable flossing, it may go back to how it was in the two weeks following the filling, before it emerged?

Last edited:

Vote:
Flossing too aggressively or too frequently can irritate the gums, causing inflammation and sensitivity. This irritation can make the area more sensitive to temperature changes, particularly to cold. While less common, it's possible that over-flossing could have affected the nerve within the tooth, particularly if the filling is close to the nerve. This could lead to heightened sensitivity to cold temperatures.

Vote:
Flossing too aggressively or too frequently can irritate the gums, causing inflammation and sensitivity. This irritation can make the area more sensitive to temperature changes, particularly to cold. While less common, it's possible that over-flossing could have affected the nerve within the tooth, particularly if the filling is close to the nerve. This could lead to heightened sensitivity to cold temperatures.

The filling in this case is presumably close to the nerve.

Could that aggressive flossing have DAMAGED the nerve though?

Or just sensitized it?

Cause if it's the latter, presumably that sensitivity would reduce with time.

Could flossing ON a filling (which, looking at the x-ray, where the filling is placed, I had to do in this case to get between the teeth), actually DAMAGE the nerve underneath it though?

This could lead to heightened sensitivity to cold temperatures.

But, not actually damage the nerve?

Last edited:

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Doubt if flossing would have affected the nerve. Overflossing could have irritated the gum yes, and sometimes gum pain gets mistaken for tooth related pain. If a filling was done, and it was close to the nerve, it does not mean that the nerve starts acting up immediately. Sometimes the transition to pulpitis and then irreversible pulpitis can take weeks to months. If the pain becomes more severe and spontaneous, a root canal would be indicated.
It would really help to take a new x-ray of this tooth after the filling was done.

Vote:
Doubt if flossing would have affected the nerve. Overflossing could have irritated the gum yes, and sometimes gum pain gets mistaken for tooth related pain. If a filling was done, and it was close to the nerve, it does not mean that the nerve starts acting up immediately. Sometimes the transition to pulpitis and then irreversible pulpitis can take weeks to months. If the pain becomes more severe and spontaneous, a root canal would be indicated.
It would really help to take a new x-ray of this tooth after the filling was done.

Since I discontinued the flossing about three days ago, the cold sensitivity is beginning to improve.

I am getting these occasional pulses of........ I wouldn't describe them as "pain", but more like a tingling pulse that I'm aware of, coming from what feels like the tooth (this refers along the gumline into the teeth before it also).
I slept very well last night so doesn't seem to be overt pain, just unusual tingling.

I have an check up on this tomorrow, so should have a new x-ray then.

The last time I flossed, it almost felt like I had dislodged the tooth slightly, or pulled it out of place? (that's just how it felt).
Inadvertently widening the gap between the teeth I was flossing. (don't know if I did or not, but that's how it felt)

That's when the tingling/shooting sensitivity emerged. Whether that feeling would have implicated the gum, or the nerve, no idea, but that was the point I realized I need to ease off on the flossing there.

When I palpate the tooth itself, that doesn't elicit pain or sensitivity for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Vote:
If I may ask also, the tooth with the cavity, where exactly is the nerve of that tooth relative to said cavity?

I can't read x-rays so good.

I know the darker shade indicates a nerve, but can only see a darker shade in the centre of the tooth, not adjacent or near to the cavity?

Vote:

19th July pan x-ray mark up.jpg

Taken yesterday.

Tooth 7, upper left. I went for a second opinion. Looks like the original dentist didn't get rid of all the decay, and the margins with the next tooth are off? (thus it's trapping food).

Attachments

• 19th July 2024.jpg
    19th July 2024.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question