Cavity in Side of Tooth Near Gums, filling or crown?

Hi! I went to a new dentist. He found dark spots on the x-ray indicating a cavity in the side of a tooth, near the gums. He gave me a choice of doing a cavity filling type procedure, where he would remove a part of the tooth so he could access the cavity, and then patch it up. The second option would be to get a crown. He recommended the crown, saying that would be better in the long run. He wasn’t sure how long the filling repair would last and grip to the tooth. He also mentioned that cavities on the side under the gums would typically be better to get a crown.

Any thoughts? There do appear to be two cavities already on that tooth. I have had bad luck with dentists in the past trying to do more work than required. My last dentist told me the black spots on my teeth were cavities. This new dentist says the black spots are stains only. So that is a relief.

Thanks in advance!

Ask a Question