Cant fathom what the pain is

Solutions
Hi. I’ve been having tooth pain for 8 weeks now. Above my 2 front teeth and in them. Seen a dentist 4 times and been to doctors 3. Been referred to dental hospital and awaiting an appointment. Dentist says they can’t see anything wrong. My gums feel inflamed and I’m struggling to sleep . My doctor has put me on gabapentin 100mg 3 times a day and I’ve been on them 2 weeks with no improvement. My doctor also put me on metronidazole for 7 days to see if that may clear anything up so I’ve taken 9 of 21 but don’t feel any effect yet. I haven’t had an X-ray for around 5 weeks. Can an x ray change in this time and show up something with the pain getting worse. It’s like a really strong tooth sensitivity pain. I’m also using duraphat 5000. The 2 front teeth have a see through bit on the bottom of it and little staining where u can see the dentin.
Please can someone give me some advice. As I’m at a loss what to do.
Thank you

Solutions
IMG_1066.jpeg

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You don't appear to have any large cavities. The chip gives an indication that you might grind on your teeth. Would need to see an x-ray to determine if the nerve is involved or not.

Vote:
Solutions
The chip in my tooth was done by a glass bottle when I was 18 and I’m now nearly 40. I never took a picture of the xray but when I see the dental hospital I will. Thank you

Vote:
Solutions
This has appeared on my gum in the last few days above where all the pain is. I have a dental hospital appointment on 25th sept and am on 400mg of gabapentin 3 times a day and I still have pain.
IMG_1590.jpeg

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
This almost looks like a draining sinus, which is an indication of an abscess on the tooth. If you are in severe pain, see if you can contact your medical GP for a prescription for some anti-inflammatory medication and/or antibiotics. The Gabapentin alone will not suffice.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
This is a good sign. Might be an area then where you injured yourself previously without knowing it. I would still just go to the dentist, especially if you haven't been in a while, in order to make sure everything is in order.

Vote:
Solutions
Been to dentist again . No change on X-ray. She said that’s not saying there isn’t anything wrong with the tooth or the nerve it’s just that a 2D x ray cannot see it. She is getting me an appointment for a panoramic scan and she thinks I will have a cone beam ct scan when I’m seen in September at the dental hospital. She prescribed me a week of amoxicillin to see if this helps at all and if it doesn’t we can tell the dental hospital everything we’ve tried that hasn’t worked.

Vote:

Ask a Question