Can composite fillings feel like they change shape?

Had a tiny cavity filled on the lower back molar with composite. Feels like the filling expands and contracts. It can feel thick and lumpy at times and then flat and smooth other times.

Is this normal?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I don't think you should be able to feel the contraction and expansion of the filling, but you might feel the filling wearing down over time. If there is wear, there might also be certain areas where the filling feels more rough.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You shouldn't feel anything. A couple of possibilities:
1. The composite doesn't quite mesh with your occlusion and may need adjusting.
2. The composite may have a rough part or an edge which is catching food debris, making it feel strange.
Go back to dentist if unsure.

Vote:
I don't think you should be able to feel the contraction and expansion of the filling, but you might feel the filling wearing down over time. If there is wear, there might also be certain areas where the filling feels more rough.
Thank you!

Just saw my dentist for an adjustment. The filling is at the base of the mesial buccal groove. He said the way the filling blends with the natural tooth there and also because the filled surface is lower now than before, it’s making the top of this groove feel like a lump.

Some additional polishing was done. But the polishing has created a sandy texture and I’ve lost that glossy finish feel in the tooth’s surface. I don’t want to go back for another adjustment for something so trivial… Does this sandy texture eventually smooth out or is there something I can do at home to bring back that glossy finish?

Thanks again!

Vote:
You shouldn't feel anything. A couple of possibilities:
1. The composite doesn't quite mesh with your occlusion and may need adjusting.
2. The composite may have a rough part or an edge which is catching food debris, making it feel strange.
Go back to dentist if unsure.
Thank you!

Just saw my dentist for an adjustment. The filling is at the base of the mesial buccal groove. He said the way the filling blends with the natural tooth there and also because the filled surface is lower now than before, it’s making the top of this groove feel like a lump.

Some additional polishing was done. But the polishing has created a sandy texture and I’ve lost that glossy finish feel in the tooth’s surface. I don’t want to go back for another adjustment for something so trivial… Does this sandy texture eventually smooth out or is there something I can do at home to bring back that glossy finish?

Thanks again!

Vote:

Ask a Question