Can a dental crown be shaved down too far?

I had 2 crowns put on a few years back and they had recently been feeling sore from the pressure on the teeth above (I grind). The dentist who did the crowns didn't want to shave the crowns down too much, I can't remember why that was. Today my new dentist did shave them down and I was a little concerned because the initial dentist didn't think it was a good idea.
Is it possible it could have weakened the crowns? Would I feel any immediate if she had shaved them down too far? I just can't get them replaced due to the outrageous cost.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Although crowns can be adjusted, if they are adjusted too much, they can become too thin and then fracture. If the crowns are porcelain fused to metal, you can also expose the metal layer, which might be unaesthetic in certain cases.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If they were too high 2 years ago, you wouldn't've taken this long to notice the discrepancy. If you grind, then maybe ask for a simple hard acrylic splint to even out the pressure and give your teeth a bit of a rest.

Vote:

Ask a Question