Bone showing through inner gum after extraction.

Hi

I got a back lower left Molar extracted 10 days ago. 5 days after i had to go to dentist again and get a dressing for a dry socket. I then went back another couple of days later as still sore and was advised there was pus. So again it was cleaned and dressed and i am now on Amoxicillin. I'd say that the pain from the dry socket just starting to ease although i have had a sore throat since the initial extraction and still do. However what i am more concerned about is the piece of bone showing through my gum near the extraction. It's quite sharp when felt with my tongue and is probably the part that is still sore and doesn't feel as if my gum has healed over any of it at all.. Will my gum eventually grow over this piece of bone? I have attached a pic. Sorry for quality. Thanks

20240520_202418.jpg

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Yes, happens sometimes as the healing tissue tightens over the sharp bone. The protruding bone can be removed under local anaesthetic, but dentist has to be wary of nearby lingual bone. I'd also suggest a chlorhex mouthwash for 2 weeks and to give up smoking (if you can) as this retards healing.

Vote:

Ask a Question