Actual decay?

Hello :)

I recently had to change my dentist, and the new dentist said that there's decay between my right central and lateral incisors. I brush 3 times a day after meals, and I'm surprised that I have a decay going on in that area (he told me that there's no other problem in my mouth). I'm aware that naked eyes cannot catch everything, but to me it looks perfectly fine, and I don't want to drill something that's not problematic.

Attached is my x-ralso of the same teeth. He was pointing out the grey area, but I thought that was just from the angle of the x-ray and how the teeth are overlapping. Do you actually think that there's decay going on?

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• FMX 7.jpg
    FMX 7.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 6
  • FMX 8.jpg
    FMX 8.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240702_163612.jpg
    20240702_163612.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 6

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It looks like there might be the start of some de-mineralization in the area, but it is not through your enamel yet. This is not an indication for a filling. Focus on flossing more in that area and maybe use a fluoride containing mouth rinse. This area can only be monitored for now, since it might start re-mineralizing again. Doing a filling there would be over-treatment in my opinion.

Vote:
It looks like there might be the start of some de-mineralization in the area, but it is not through your enamel yet. This is not an indication for a filling. Focus on flossing more in that area and maybe use a fluoride containing mouth rinse. This area can only be monitored for now, since it might start re-mineralizing again. Doing a filling there would be over-treatment in my opinion.
Thank you very much for your reply. It's a relief that I won't need a filling at this point. I will be doing everything I can to help the area remineralize.

On the other hand, I'm sort of panicking now because I've found many other similar areas on my xrays.. However, obviously, I don't have the proper knowledge to look at dental xrays. Could you please take a look at these other xrays?

I really really appreciate it!

Attachments

• FMX 6.jpg
    FMX 6.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 1
  • FMX 7.jpg
    FMX 7.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 1
  • FMX 8.jpg
    FMX 8.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 1
  • FMX 11.jpg
    FMX 11.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 1
  • FMX 15.jpg
    FMX 15.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1
  • FMX 16.jpg
    FMX 16.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 1
  • FMX 18.jpg
    FMX 18.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 1

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Don't see other cavities that you need to worry about. A lot of the slightly darker areas is called cervical burnout and it just due to the positioning of the x-ray sensor and not cavities. Continue to go for your regular check-ups.

Vote:

Ask a Question