Acquisition: AR/Patient Credit

Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a dental practice and AR was not part of the purchase but I collect the AR of the previous owner for first 6 months (which is the transition period). The previous owner recently left the practice 2 months earlier than the transition period. Here is my question - there are some patients that have credit balance in their account from before the acquisition date - what should I do with those credits? They are not my responsibility and they should be paid by the previous owner. What would be your advice to me on how to handle this so that it doesn’t leave the patient with a bad experience of not getting their credit balance? I need to have these credits zero-ed out in the system because otherwise the system applies them to current AR and not generating a bill. I imagine that by law the previous owner is responsible for these credits unless their company is liquidated. I would really appreciate some thoughts, suggestions, insights.
Thank you
Dr. P

Ask a Question