4 front crowns

First time at this dentist due to moving to Colorado.
I needed a root canal on my central left incisor. Also need a crown on my central right incisor. The (traveling) Endodontist did my root canal. His dental assistant put on a temp crown.
I’ve had a root canal before but during this particular one the endodontist did a procedure where he put something in my tooth I‘m not sure what but a large cloud of smoke bellowed out of my mouth. Can you explain what that was. I tried to ask him after the procedure but he left before I could.
My husband and I talked about my dental plan with my dentist. I decided for aesthetics purposes to have crowns put on both my lateral incisors. I talked with my dentist about this plan and finished look.
I wanted my teeth to have a natural look. Since I was going with 4 crowns I expressed a translucent natural look.
My following appointment the assistant put on a one - 4 piece crown. She told me my next appointment they will be ready! At no point did she ever taken out a shade guide. I mentioned to her about the shade guide. She went and brought one in for me to choose. It was an incomplete single small rack. I guess with some missing I had maybe 9 to choose from. I asked her where the rest of her tray kit was? She did not acknowledge me. She started pulling the remaining ones out and scattering them on the tray to choose from. I told her these gray shades won’t work. She then suggested I go to the dental lab to pick a shade. I called and made an appointment to look at shade guides and porcelain choices. Mind you when I showed up at my appointment, my front 4 teeth looked like one globed mess of glue. You couldn’t even see the shape of my teeth. The woman brought out shade guides. She asked me where did the dentist compared any shades being my front was covered in sloppy messy gunk? I said she gave me a hand full of choices from an incomplete rack. I guess we will match with my bottom teeth. She took pictures with the cheek wings stretched out to get full complete pictures. We talked porcelain and color choices. She asked if I had a recent picture of my teeth what they looked like. I pulled some up in my phone and she picked one for me to send her. She also mentioned that when they come in to have the dentist put them on with temporary glue so I can see them in natural light. See how they look and feel. If i’m happy with them. Then go ahead and have them placed. The following week I was back in the chair to have them put on temporarly. I mentioned my right incisor was pinging pain when she took off the temporary crowns. she asked me if I wanted a little numbing shot. I said no. (Because I knew I wouldn’t be able to feel when she put them in and my bite wouldn’t be accurate). So she proceed to put them on with the temporary glue. She didn’t address why I was feeling root pain. That tooth just needed a crown, why had she over grinded it down that low? She didn’t put any antibiotics in it before gluing it on. The next day that crown dropped off. I used an otc product the pharmacy suggested to place it back until I get an appointment to go in and have her place them permanently. I’m concerned that the tooth in question may now need a root canal. How do I get this tooth in question looked at before the final gluing? Do I ask to have the endodontist look at it? I just know once she’s put these on permanent. Having to remove it will cost me over $1,250.00. For one crown. Because it will be ruined when its removed. I’m very disappointed in this dentist. She’s been in practice 3 years.
Thank you for your time in this matter. I appreciate you!

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
1) The smoke is most likely from him burning off the GP material that we place in the root in order to seal it. This is common practice and not something to be concerned about.

2) In terms of the front tooth with pain-this could be due to 2 reasons. The first reason could be due to exposed dentin. When I remove temporary crowns, I sometimes give my patients some LA, since the sudden exposure of the dentin, could lead to sensitivity and pain. Not all dentists do this. This could be a reason for the pain.

The second and more serious reason could be due to pulp or nerve involvement. During a crown prep, there is always a chance that the nerve can get damaged due to excessive prep work or just because it got irritated due to the drilling. In such a case, the tooth might need a root canal. Preferably before the permanent crowns are being cemented. If done afterwards, you tend to go through the crown, and this might end up damaging the crown. I would suggest going to the dentist and ask him to take an x-ray of the tooth in question and do some pulp tests. If you don't trust your current dentist, you can go for a second opinion from another dentist or your endodontist.

Vote:

Ask a Question