11 days post extraction, bone graft, and immediate implant.. advice needed

I am now 11 days post op and have a healing abutment on top of where I now have an implant placed. I called the office yesterday because I had a very slight weird taste in my mouth but I wasn’t sure if it was because I can’t properly brush my back tooth or from potential infection. My sutures were basically hanging by a thread so the dental assistant cut them off and cleaned out the area with water and some other antibacterial mouthwash or something (which they sent me home with to wash as I please). When she put the water in it caused slight pain and that lasted for a few minutes and today I’m noticing some new swelling in the area. I’m not sure if this is from her spraying the water and it’s irritated or if there is a possible infection beginning? I spoke with my dentist and they prescribed another round of antibiotics and I started that today to be safe.

My concern is that today when I was looking at the area in the mirror, I thought I saw a small opening between the abutment and my gums. They did mention yesterday that my gums hadn’t closed all the way but that the area looked great and the dentist reassured me again yesterday the space is because that’s where my tooth was pulled. I just want to know if this is normal? I am worried the opening is just a breeding ground for bacteria from food and I’ll have constant problems. Thank you for any advice!
IMG_7875.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7836.jpeg
    IMG_7836.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 1

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
This looks like normal healing. We can only see true healing or failure after about 1 month post-op.

Vote:

Ask a Question